Green Heating

How you can warm up you home in an eco-friendly manner

Author: Jim Meyers
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010

    Go Green Express in Newburgh serves the Valley in all aspects of green heating, specializing in condensing boilers. Owner Ed Wolfe explains that a conventional boiler works much the way as boiling water on a stovetop. When the water reaches temperatures above 212 degrees Fahrenheit, it changes to gas in the form of steam vapor. When the vapor cools below this level it turns back into water, liberating more heat.

 

    In a conventional boiler, much like a stove, the boiler below heats the water and circulates it throughout the house. 80 percent of the heat is transferred to water, while the remaining 20 percent is released through the chimney. A condensing boiler turns the vapor back into water when it dips below 212 degrees, capturing the heat rather than losing it out the chimney. Wolfe says that condensing boilers operate at a 92 percent efficiency rate while a standard boilers rate is 80 percent.

 

    Over the years this 12 percent increase in efficiency can lead to substantial energy saving for the homeowner. There are numerous tax credits, rebates, and other government and utility incentives available depending on brand, model number, and size of the unit. Due to these complexities it is important that homeowners work with experts in order to maximize savings.

 

    Wolfe stresses that only a trained professional should install these boilers. “I’d estimate that 80-90 percent of the condensing boilers in use now suffer from improper application,” he says. In order to ensure peak efficiency piping has to be reconfigured. Simply installing a condensing boiler to an existing system will offer no benefit and may in fact be less effective than the standard boiler that was replaced.


Where to find the money

 

    Although any creditable contractor will be able to help with incentive programs it is best for the homeowner to be as informed as possible before making any decisions about heating. Larry Simpson of Sustainable Orange County says his company is focused on finding funding from the Federal, State and utility incentives. “The money is out there,” he says “it’s our job to make sure consumers are aware of these programs.” He says that the incentives are also available for retrofitting and upgrading existing systems such as window replacement and improved insulation. The company also works with residences of Rockland and is expanding into Sullivan County. Consumers throughout the Valley can contact Mid-Hudson Energy Smart, which promotes the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) incentive program and has a list of green contractors in the area.

 

Jim Meyers, an educator and freelance writer, lives in Kingston with his wife. He is currently installing replacement winds in his Victorian home.

Are you interested in reading more about green heating?

 

 

Categories: Going Green,Home and Garden

Tags: green heating

« Back to Articles

Email A Friend

Want to email a link to this article to a friend? Just enter the information below!

Your Name:
Your Email:
Friend Email:
 

Article Category Sign Up

If you're interested in getting more in-depth information about articles in the same categories as this article, sign up now!
Email:   

Reader Feedback
No reader feedback for this article. Why not post some feedback of your own?
Reader Feedback Submission
*Name:
*Email:
*Rating:
*Body:
   
* Required Value
Hudson Valley Parent
Powered by NeoCurve